Excellent post on wooden smoothing planes from Graham Haydon

You might know that I use wooden bench planes in my work. Sure, I'm distracted by pretty infills like everyone else (I have a bunch, panel, jointer, smoothers, shoulder, that I should probably sell... email me for details if you are interested), but I always return to my first loves. The siren song of figured beech, smooth wood-on-wood action, and thick tapered irons is impossible to ignore.

Therefore, I was happy (and a little miffed because the prices will surely go up!) to read Graham Haydon's post about wooden smooth planes on the Popular Woodworking website. 


Enjoy. 

5 comments:

  1. Good read. I've been mulling over the idea of a wooden plane "library" where people could try wooden planes without having to go all in.
    I think there are lots of people who would love them but do not have the exposure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Robert, that certainly is an interesting idea. I think people just see the busted up, worn out wooden planes at the antique store and never give them a try. The cost of shipping could be prohibitive but it is a great idea.

      Delete
  2. Cheers for this Zach! "The siren song of figured beech, smooth wood-on-wood action, and thick tapered irons is impossible to ignore."

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete