That done, it was time to figure out how to hang it. The existing porch ceiling is 5/4 beadboard which is likely original to the house. I cut two small exploratory holes in the ceiling with my Rockwell multitool so that I could be sure I was installing the eye hooks into structure.
I stuck my phone into one of the holes to get some pictures of the porch roof framing. Pretty neat looking work.
My solution was to sister two 2x6s together, notching out the ends to rest on the plate and on one of the joists. The sistered structure was then screwed to one of the rafters. The eye bolt was then drilled through the beadboard and into the sistered piece, giving me solid structure above the swing. The other eye bolt was screwed into an existing joist which happened to fall perfectly in the right place.
Repairing the holes in the beadboard was simple enough. I just screwed a backing board into the beadboard and then screwed the pieces I cut out to the backer board. After calking the screw holes and repainting, you have to look pretty hard to see that the work was done.
I spent a good portion of my Sunday relaxing on this new porch swing and I couldn't be happier. Abigail, of course, was less than impressed with the height and speed of the porch swing and insisted on being pushed to ever more dangerous heights on her own swing in the back yard.
Fiskar's marketing for this new hand sledge which I saw at my local Meijer store. Superbly done, Fiskars.
With Saw, Plane and Chisel
Duct Tape is Flammable