Covid-19 Summer 2020 update

 It's been one heck of a year, 2020. Aside from the obvious... I managed to seriously injure myself in my woodshop for the very first time in three decades of woodworking. Shortly after my last post, I dropped a sharp plane iron into my right ankle. This severed a tendon and caused an extremely gruesome gash in my foot. I'll spare you pictures (yes, I did take them) but seeing one's own bone and moving tendons is a wakeup call to be a little more careful. Thankfully, no surgery was required (the severed tendon was too small to be repaired so it's just sort of there now). I'm left with a 2 1/2" scar, a large lump of coiled tendon and scar tissue, and semi-numb toes, though the doctor says the numbness should go away in time.

Frankly, the mental damage was worse than the physical damage. It has largely kept me out of the woodshop since. So, rather than building things, I've been working on my house, painting, replacing damaged / rotten siding, and doing a lot of writing, both for Mortise & Tenon and for my new book project. More info on both of those projects to come soon.

I'm planning to return to the woodshop soon. First up, a deep clean, then a reassessment of a few shop strategies before digging into another furniture project. I'm not sure what that will be yet, as it has been years since I could actually make something for myself without restrictions or deadlines. I'm thinking a bench for the new deck I'm having built on my house but, we'll see.

Thankfully, thus far we are safe and healthy. I hope that all of you are as well.

Take care and stay safe.

Zach Dillinger

3 comments:

  1. Being that you are ok, and thank goodness for that, I gotta ask-how sharp is sharp enough?
    That is gruesome. Thanks for not showing us pictures.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dan. I don't have an answer to your question but I can confirm that the plane iron that got me was more than sharp enough.

      All the best!
      Zach

      Delete
  2. Zach, I was sorry to hear of your misfortune.
    I’ll miss visiting with you at this year’s Wood Expo.
    Best luck on a speedy recovery,
    Earl

    ReplyDelete