Roy Underhill Nail Cabinet


 

After deep cleaning and reorganizing the shop, it was clear that my previous hardware storage solution, i.e. piles of boxes and bags of nails and screws, was going to be inadequate going forward. I have admired Roy Underhill's nail cabinet for many years and decided to take the opportunity to build Chris Schwarz's version of it (with a few modifications).

As a nod to Roy's original, which features several different species of wood, I used pine, ash, and poplar for the dividers since that is what I had on hand.

As a further nod to Roy, I included a nicely matted print of the Hamm's Bock Beer ad which has adorned the inside of his cabinet door for decades. I also tracked down an Ohio Blue tip match box and glued the matchbox front to the side, honoring the fact that his original cabinet was built from a wooden crate once filled with that company's product.

One original addition to my cabinet is a quick rack for a new set of wooden handle screwdrivers to which I treated myself. The set was purchased from Tools for Working Wood.

The finish is linseed oil thinned 50/50 with turpentine, over which paste wax was applied.

Overall, this was a lot of fun to build and a great way to get back into the shop.





No comments:

Post a Comment